This content includes advertisement and affiliate links. To read the full policy on this, click here.
In this post:
Ever since my uni days, I’ve been searching for the best natural deodorant for me – I tend to prioritise eco-friendliness, aluminium-free formulas and, of course, overall effectiveness. I’m a busy person who loves to work out in a variety of different ways (running, cycling, weight training and horse riding, when I can). As you can probably tell, any deodorants I try have a high level of expectation put on them right from the very start.
It has also been a challenge to find deodorant options that fit my criteria in stores, so I was really looking forward to experiencing what Fussy had to offer given that they conveniently ship to your door.
Who are Fussy?
At the time of writing this post, according to their website, Fussy was a Kickstarter back in October 2020 where ‘8,000 Fussy armpits’ (I love this phrase) joined in. A quote directly from their FAQ’s page regarding their inspiration to begin the venture reads as follows:
“When we noticed the huge amounts of single-use plastic in our own bathrooms we thought there had to be a better way. So we emptied our savings pots onto the kitchen table and set about creating Fussy. Our challenge was to make sure Fussy was more convenient, effective and desirable than other sustainable products we had tried. We think we succeeded and hope you agree!”
While exploring their website, they also advertise the following:
- Sustainability – the deodorant casing is reusable while refills are plastic-free and home compostable.
- Effectiveness – probiotic is added to their formula to break down sweat molecules for 24hrs of protection.
- Ingredients – Fussy use all-natural, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients in their deodorant (excluding a couple of their scent options which use synthetic fragrance as the essential oils would be difficult to produce sustainably, this can be found in their FAQs). They also do not use aluminium or parabens.
My First Impressions
The product arrived in a cardboard package which is great as it is recyclable. The case and refill are held by slots inside the box so no need for additional tapes or ties inside the package itself which can often complicate the recycling process. The outer box design itself was simple but conveys what is inside clearly. The package also fitted nicely through my letterbox which can be a concern with online shopping if you’re not home to receive deliveries.
In terms of the quality, I was impressed by the feel of the plastic casing – it has an almost soft type feel to it rather than the slippery, shiny style plastic other items can be made from. The brand intends the casing to be used for life (keeping it and refilling with new refills as needed) so I was happy to see that it appears durable for everyday use. The refill itself comes in a compostable, cardboard-looking container which is inserted into the casing.
I was gifted the Tropic Tonic fragrance option which is described on their website as being lime, basil and mandarin scent. Personally, it reminds me of being on holiday without defaulting to the ‘sunscreen’ fragrance that tends to be associated with this scent type – a pleasant change that I really like!
Using Fussy Refillable Deodorant
Installing the refill was easy. The plastic of the container is malleable enough so that you can easily press the ‘buttons’ to take it apart but without feeling like you’re going to break it. Once slotted in, the deodorant twists up smoothly.
In terms of application, I really enjoyed the creamy but non-greasy formula. After it has had some time to sit on the skin, it has a light feel without any stickiness. My skin also did not feel clogged or cakey with product. One swipe down and one swipe back up was a good amount for me so I feel that it will last me a fair amount of time. As a side note on this, I also love the stick type application method when it comes to deodorant. When a deodorant comes in a jar for example, I find it is easy to accidentally use too much but a stick allows for better ‘portioning’ for me personally.
I really enjoy the look of the case while it’s left out in my bedroom or bathroom – it is minimalist enough to blend in with most homes and, as it comes in a range of colours, there’s always something to fit each person’s taste.
Does Fussy Deodorant Work?
In short, the answer to this is yes! Secretly, I didn’t expect much from the beginning despite the bold claims from the brand about remaining BO-free for the entire day as success for me can be 50/50. To give it a real test, I chose to wear a t shirt with tight fitting sleeves (something I’d often wear as opposed to something more ventilated) and I spent my day doing everything I normally would. I showered as normal in the morning, applied Fussy and went to work in a rather hot office. I also did a gym session and went on a walk during the evening, all without reapplying anymore deodorant beyond the initial couple of swipes at around 7:30am. When undressing at 8pm in the evening, there was zero odour, neither on my skin or transferred onto the underarm of my clothes. Given that it isn’t uncommon for deodorants to let me down, I was incredibly impressed.
Something I also noted was there was absolutely no trace of the product on my clothing. I recall, from my teenage years, having to throw away many items of clothing due to the damage deodorants can do to fabric so I was really happy to see that Fussy left no marks, greasiness, or stiffness in the fabric of my tops.
Pros and cons
- Natural – as the ingredients of this deodorant are natural, I personally feel like it aligns well with the products I choose to put on my body in general.
- Eco-friendly – due to the sustainability of the product, it feels good to throw fewer things into landfill. Other deodorant options out there can be found in aerosol cans, jars, or disposable plastic applicators while, with Fussy, you naturally don’t produce as much waste given that the container is reusable. The container is also made from plastic only (as opposed to mixed materials like metal and plastic glued together) so that it can be recycled at the end of its life. The fact that the refills are compostable (it’s made from waste sugarcane pulp!) is a bonus for me too.
- Actually works – as I said in my introduction, it can be difficult for me to find a deodorant that fits my sustainability and natural ingredient criteria while also finding a product that is effective. I’m so happy that I can rely on Fussy.
- Nice to look at – I personally love the overall appearance of the casing and struggled to choose a colour as they have so many nice options!
- Can sometimes fall over – due to the small surface area of the end of the casing, I found that it would quite easily tip over if there was vibration to the shelf it was sat on. However, this was a minor thing as I tend to store my deodorants and other personal care items in a drawer anyway. I also have an extremely creaky house where things come crashing down regularly regardless!
- Lid – it isn’t the easiest to get the lid off and I wish there was some dents or texture to get a better grip. The lid is overall really secure though and tended not to get messy with the deodorant inside so I did appreciate the general design of it despite this.
Overall, I would definitely recommend Fussy deodorant to anyone looking to try out a sustainable, refillable deodorant option. The brand offers a one-time purchase or an ongoing subscription plan and I generally think that their price point is fair and in line with most options that I would consider quality. Personally, perhaps I’ve been living under a rock, but I found the concept of a probiotic within the formula to be innovative and I believe it’s well worth a try for anyone interested.
If you’d like to give this deodorant a try, use my Fussy deodorant discount code SJC15 at checkout for 15% off for new customers. You can find their website here.